Friday, December 18, 2015

Indiana Defunct Amusement Parks: Episode 1 - Enchanted Forest

I have many fond memories growing up in Northwest Indiana. Living close to Chicago, the Indiana Dunes and Michigan definitely had it's perks. But one distinct memory I have is visiting Enchanted Forest (EF).

This small amusement park was nestled on the corner of SR 49 and US 20 in Porter, Indiana. I would peer out the left side of the car to catch a glimpse of the magical oasis as we would drive to the Dunes for a quick splash in Lake Michigan or a hike. If I behaved well, did my chores or received good grades in school, on rare occasions I was rewarded by a trip to EF. Who remembers Surf and the Mad Mouse Rollercoaster? Looking back now, it pretty much was nothing more than permanent carnival rides, but to a child it seemed amazing.

EF was open from 1957 until 1991, so I was just 12 years old when it shut down for good. A few years later, the area became Splash Down Dunes and the water park is now known as Seven Peaks Water Park.

Enjoy this EF commercial from the 1980s.




No comments:

Post a Comment